CAN GREED WORK IN A FREE-MARKET ECONOMY
1. Is greed a good or bad thing? Can it be good in some cases and bad in others? Defend your answer.
2. Can you think of a time where you acted greedily? What caused you to behave this way? Looking back, would you have acted differently or were your feelings justified? Why?
3. What is “free enterprise”?
4. “Greed means taking something that doesn’t belong to you.” Stossel’s guests argue that this is a misconception of greed. Can people be greedy without infringing on others’ rights?
5. Stossel’s guests believe that “earning” something is beneficial and meaningful to people. How does this relate to greed? Do you think earning your own success is important? Why or why not?