THE WAR ON INTERNS
1. Are un-paid interns being "ripped off"? Why or why not?
2. Why would an intern want to work for free? Would you ever be willing to work for free? Why or why not?
3. Why does Steven Greenhouse say most internships are "illegal"? Do you agree? If the intern makes the choice to work for free, should this be allowed? Defend your answer.
4. What would the benefits and/or drawbacks be in requiring businesses to pay interns? How would this affect interns? How would this affect employers?
5. Greenhouse argues that interns hurt paid workers' opportunities. Do you agree? Explain why or why not.
6. Would you work for free if it otherwise meant the opportunity you wanted would not be offered to you? Would you be in favor of laws that require all internships to be paid? Why or why not?