GUTTED BY GOVERNMENT
1. What caused Detroit to go bankrupt? How could it have been prevented?
2. Are other U.S. cities in danger of going bankrupt? Why or why not? What sort of situation is your own city in? Research it and share what you found out.
3. How does Sandy Spring, Georgia operate differently from cities such as Detroit? Do they have a better way of doing things? Why or why not?
4. Isn't government helping people by giving tax breaks to small businesses? Why has this not seemed to work in Detroit? What does Shikha Dalimia have to say about this? Do you agree with her opinion? Does shutting “illegal” businesses down help or hurt the situation? Defend your answer.
5. What does it mean to “privatize” something? Name some drawbacks and/or benefits of privatizing things that government usually takes care of. Discuss why privatization might or might not help a city like Detroit.
6. What is “transparency”? Why might this be important in government?