GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS: HELP OR HANDOUTS
1. What is "dependency"? Is it a bad thing? Why or why not?
2. What is John Stossel's position on government programs such as welfare? Does he feel they help or hinder people? Why? Describe your own position on government assistance programs.
3. Are the work requirements to receive welfare too tough or too lenient? Defend your answer.
4. Some of the people Stossel interviewed that were in line to receive welfare benefits said there were "no jobs." Why was Stossel’s team able to find jobs available nearby? Why might the people in line not be applying for these jobs? What would you do if you were in their situation?
5. Stossel’s intern suggests government job centers make it harder to get a job than it would be if you looked for one on your own. What are some of the reasons she feels this way? Do you agree with her assessment of the system? Why or why not? What could be done, if anything, to improve it?