GOV. FORTUNO ON REVAMPING PUERTO RICO
1. What is serfdom? Besides Friedrich von Hayek's book of the same title, what is John Stossel referring to when he talks about "the road to serfdom"? Are you familiar with Friedrich von Hayek? If so, what do you know about him and/or his book?
2. Why did John Stossel choose to talk about Puerto Rico's new political practices? Is there something we can learn from the way they run their government? If so, what?
3. Was it worth firing Puerto Rican government workers in order to achieve the society they have now? Why or why not? Do you think their society is more successful now than it was before? Defend your answer and define what success means to you.
4. What are the effects of simplifying ways to start a business? What are the benefits and/or drawbacks of these effects?
5. The Puerto Rican government now believes that private companies are better at doing things like maintaining roads. Why do you think this is the case? Would it be the same in the United States? Why or why not?