EX-IM BANK A TAXPAYER SUBSIDY FOR CRONY CAPITALISM?
1. Is it government's job to decide which companies are good to support and which are not? Don Boudreaux says it's the free market's job. What does this mean? Do you agree or disagree?
2. What does the term "free market" mean?
3. Don Boudreaux discusses how the “unseen” is just as real, even if it's invisible. What is he talking about? Why might this be an important concept to understand?
4. What is “crony capitalism”? Do you think the government ever uses favoritism when supporting certain businesses or industries? Why or why not? Can you think of an example to support your argument?
5. Why do some people believe that subsidies hurt the economy? Is it true? Do some research on the Ex-Im bank. Do you support it? Why or why not?