ARE PEOPLE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF WELFARE?
1. Why does Star Parker say the poor have adopted a “slave mentality”? What does this mean? Do you agree or disagree? Explain why.
2. What do you think of welfare? List some benefits and/or drawbacks of the program.
3. Do welfare benefits take away incentive for people to get jobs? Why or why not? If you were on welfare, would any of your behaviors change? How? What about your parents?
4. Are there other ways to help the poor and unemployed? How?
5. Should taxpayers have to pay for people who are poor or don't have jobs? How do you feel knowing part of your paycheck or your parents' paychecks go towards this? Do you feel like you're helping people?
6. What would happen if our government cut welfare benefits? How would it affect the people currently on welfare? How would it affect our economy?