GOVERNMENT DECEIVING PEOPLE ABOUT THE AMERICAN DREAM?
1. The girl in the buy-a-house video says, "the finances have to be there." The man argues that it's more important to have the house you want. Is price important when it comes to making such a large purchase? Does it make a difference if someone is lending you the money? Why or why not?
2. Why is buying a home part of the "American Dream"? Why does the government encourage buying a house?
3. Why does Anthony Randazzo say the government is giving out "irresponsible loans"? What does this mean?
4. Is there anything that could be done to fix the problems in the housing market? Does it involve the government? What about banks? What about consumers? Brainstorm some ideas. Think about the possible unintended consequences of your ideas, too. Would your plan drive prices down or up?
5. Would you loan money to a friend or fellow student who was already in debt to other friends? Why or why not? Defend your reason.